Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Trip to Gunsan




So we went to Gunsan (9.18.10) and took a look. It is a coastal city almost as close as Jeonju but on the coast of the Yellow Sea. It was a fun experience. It isn't often that get to see a sea (although as you will see I didn't see much). I hope you enjoy these pictures!
We walked to the Iskan bus station for about 1 hour.
We met Alicen's old students at this restaurant. Top left was some really good kimchi pancake, kimchi pickled radish, and kimchi (catch the theme?).
This was meat, rad sauce (spice) and kimchi (again with themes?). It was supposed to be spice but I handled it without a drink. It is really really good!
This part of town the Japanese influence is seen during its 1910-1945 occupation of Korea. The roof is Japanese Architecture. Gunsan is in the process of eradicating these buildings.
That tall structure in the distance is a temple.
This is the red pepper added in red sauce. It is drying out. You see this everywhere.
We soon start heading to the harbor. At this harbor we found a bunch of military equipment on display. I later found out hidden from me for 20 minutes was a museum in the boat you are about to sea (big boat with number 676 on it). Walked up and down the boat and didn't see a thing. Such a sneaky boat. All the warplanes I got to touch. I was so happy to touch a Saber fighter get and a Huey! Its the historian in me. Notice all the U.S.A. symbols are replaced with Korean? They own it so might as well.
This is a tidal harbor. This is all of the Yellow Sea I saw. There isn't many real beaches in Korea. So I'll have to find another way to see it.
Lets play a game. Find the Crabs! (hint: they are in the bottom left)
Here is a video of the harbor. May not be the best quality but this is it!
On on a tank and... I'm not movin' and...
F-4 Phantom
I believe this is a C-136 cargo plane.
Now where is that museum?
Saber! Helped win the air war from the communist! It had 6 50-cal rifles on it!
What is this?
Huey!
On top of that large 676 boat thing.
This green glass thing is a stairwell leading to the secret museum!
Raider's Roar!
This was supposed to be a boat they used for abandoning ship or for raids but it was to close and big to be effectively captured in picture.
Same little boat.
Highest room of the boat!
Compass!
This is the front of the boat.
Look at those gun turrets!

Now seriously. After seeing all that would you think of seeing this just below your feet? I entered from the exit way so you'll see the museum backwards!
Now they also had a 4-D theater. There was air blast, chairs were rocking and vibrating, lights would flash, etc. It was one hell of a viewing! I have a recording of it. If you want it let me know (granted most of it is a bit blurry...forgot to check to see if it was in focus till to late!
History of the boats of Korea!
I honestly geeked out on this one. It is a Korean War Turtle. It is their battleship. Armored on top because of arrows. It had cannons on the sides with mast and oars as propulsion. It was an amazing model!
Arrow carts (yes...rocket propelled!
These cannons shoot rockets!
Told you!
Entrance way!
"Handcannons"
What the hell? Honestly!
We went and saw the owner of this shop. He is a friend of Alicen's. He is an art major and it shows in the rest the pictures!
 
Check out that chandler!
Now the space underneath is a miniature seating area made to look like small rooms. You can sit in there. It is cool!
  
He likes playing guitar.
Later on we got to check out some real markets. This is what some of you thought Korea was. It is only a portion of it.
Where' Andrew? (Hint: look at the reflection!)
 
It is quite common to see buildings built into the hill in this city.
I wasn't kidding!
 
 
What a ridiculous dog!
 
Now this is Iksan's Shopping Centers near the bus station!
 
They had color changing lights in the tiles. It was cool!
Now I told everyone that I would try almost everything. Sooo Russel bought me what looks like a cheese stick but was probably a fish and cheese stick.
 
Now this was the third time I bit into it because they wanted to take a picture of my reaction. Besides looking high there is no way to reshow my reaction. It tasted terrible by the way.
 So I know this was a long post but I hope you enjoyed it! Until next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment